Next Enrollment Period: April 1 - 16, 2022
English Level 5
ELP: Level 5 / NRS: Level 6
This course is for learners with advanced English language proficiency, who have successfully completed Ventures 4 or have tested out of the National Reporting System (NRS) high-intermediate level. Ventures Transitions is for students who have academic, vocational, or employment goals.
Level Goals: This course is designed to sharpen the skills needed to achieve academic, vocational, and employment goals, with a focus on language function, context, and appropriacy.
Level Objectives: Through individual and group activities, students will practice:
● analyzing multiple written and spoken texts of varied lengths, text types, and registers to determine key ideas and their support, compare and contrast facts, make inferences, summarize, and cite evidence from them
● writing formal, evidence-based, multiple-paragraph texts of a wide range of genres and rhetorical styles (e.g. explanatory, argumentative) and text types (e.g. college admission essay, action plan)
● delivering individual and group oral presentations of varied, formal and academic content and rhetorical style, and supported by summarized evidence from multiple sources
● recognizing thought group boundaries; identifying and producing connected speech in semi-controlled and open oral tasks
● analyzing and determining the meaning of vocabulary based on contextual clues: word formation, word families, word definitions, and punctuation; recognizing, defining, and using academic words from various written and spoken texts
● reviewing verb tenses, recognizing pragmatic uses of modals, and using a wide range of formal and informal transition words and phrases common in oral and written discourse
● participating in various spoken interactions (e.g. small talk, discussions, job interviews), based on listening notes or other sources of evidence
Assessment: Students’ performance will be assessed based on their participation in classroom activities, homework, and performance in formative and summative in-class assessments.
NOTE: The above course goals and objectives by level are aligned with the English Language Proficiency Standards for Adult Education (the New NRS and ELL Descriptors and the Revised Educational Functioning Level Descriptors).
Copyright © 2021 The Philadelphia English Language Institute - All Rights Reserved. Former Philadelphia School of Languages, Philadelphia Language Center, Wizard. AL Language Consultants Center for Business LLC. BCE, Better Communities through Education - USA
Powered by GoDaddy Website Builder