Next Enrollment Period: April 1 - 16, 2022
Adult English Level 4
ELP: Level 4 / NRS: Level 5
This course is for learners with high intermediate English language proficiency.
Level Goals: This course aims to build students’ understanding and use of more complex language relating to both concrete and abstract topics, as well as, environmental, social, academic, and professional ones.
Level Objectives: Through individual and group activities, students will practice:
● determining the main idea/key details of and citing evidence in conversations or written texts about formal and academic topics of general and professional interest
● delivering brief oral presentations that describe relationships (e.g. cause/effect and problem/solution) by using formal and academic language
● writing source-based, multiple-paragraph texts with attention to genre (e.g. expository, persuasive, compare and contrast), text type (e.g. cover letter, research report), and register (e.g. formal/informal).
● using various verb tense forms comparatively, as well as a wide range of clauses and complex, indirect structures
● developing academic vocabulary depth, as well as noticeable sensitivity to word formation and formal transition words through readings about various topics
● distinguishing intonation patterns and stress in content and function words; recognizing linking phenomena in controlled and some semi-controlled oral tasks
● participating in discussions about formal and informal topics by demonstrating awareness of a variety of speech functions and levels of politeness
Assessment: Students’ performance will be assessed based on their participation in classroom activities, homework, and performance in formative and summative in-class assessments.
NOTE: The above course goals and objectives by level are aligned with the English Language Proficiency Standards for Adult Education (the New NRS and ELL Descriptors and the Revised Educational Functioning Level Descriptors).
Copyright © 2021 The Philadelphia English Language Institute - All Rights Reserved. Former Philadelphia School of Languages, Philadelphia Language Center, Wizard. AL Language Consultants Center for Business LLC. BCE, Better Communities through Education - USA
Powered by GoDaddy Website Builder